Stefan Stein is a Member in Sherman & Howard’s Litigation, Trial and Appeals Practice Group. Stefan has extensive experience representing companies and individuals in complex business disputes, government and internal investigations, and corporate compliance and Directors and Officers insurance coverage matters. He has served as a Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer and in-house counsel in the telecommunications/technology industry. Most recently, Stefan served as the General Counsel of the consumer/small business services division of a technology company where he supported the company in various transactional, marketing and regulatory matters.
Government Investigations, Internal Corporate Investigations and Securities and Shareholder Derivative Litigation
- Represent companies in federal and state criminal investigations and state consumer protection matters.
- Represented clients in internal investigations that evaluated and reported on alleged misconduct, including representing Special Committee of Board of Directors.
- Led Special Litigation Group at a Fortune 250 company which oversaw company’s responses and defenses to (i) government investigations by U.S. Department of Justice, Securities and Exchange Commission and General Services Administration, and (ii) securities class actions, securities opt-out claims and shareholder derivative actions.
Corporate Ethics and Compliance
- Led global ethics and compliance program at a Fortune 250 company that maintained high-integrity environment for ~30,000 employees and implemented outstanding practices re code of conduct, training, investigations and risk assessments.
Trials, Appeals and Grand Jury Investigations
- As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, handled all aspects of prosecution of federal crimes, including numerous jury trials, sentencings, appeals and grand jury investigations.
Directors & Officers (D&O) Insurance Coverage
- Represented clients in domestic and international D&O policy rescission litigation. Negotiated and structured settlement transactions resulting in $275 million of insurance proceeds being placed in trust or escrow for beneﬁt of insureds; subsequently oversaw claims process.
Consumer and Small Business Services
- Led Legal group of consumer/small business services division of technology company and oversaw compliance with laws applicable to the business. Drafted wide variety of consumer-related contracts and policies, conducted legal review of sales and marketing materials and advocated for the company and its technology in state legislative and regulatory matters.
- Admitted in Colorado, 1996; California 1981
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Ninth and Tenth Circuits and the U.S. District Courts for the District of Colorado and Central District of California
- Member, American Bar Association, Colorado Bar Association, Denver Bar Association, Faculty of Federal Advocates
- Member, Board of Directors, Colorado Nonprofit Development Center, 2017-present
- Member, Colorado General Counsel Group, 2015-2016
- Member, Board of Directors, Jewish Community Centers of Denver, 2012-2016
- Interim CEO, Urban Peak, 2012; Member, Board of Directors, Urban Peak, 2007-2013
- Colorado Super Lawyers
- Corporate Counsel Best Legal Department (Qwest Communications)
- Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Special Achievement Award as an Assistant U.S. Attorney
- Urban Peak Maverick Thinker Community Service Award
- General Counsel, Consumer/Small Business Services, ViaSat, Inc., 2013-2016
- Counsel, CenturyLink, Inc., 2011-2013
- Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer and Senior Vice President-Risk Management, Qwest Communications International Inc., 2009-2011
- Senior Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Qwest Communications International Inc., 2002-2009
- Member, Litigation Group, Sherman & Howard L.L.C., 1996-2001; Chair of Litigation Group, 2001
- Deputy Chief, Public Corruption & Government Fraud Section, United States Attorney’s Office, Central District of California, 1994-1996
- Assistant United States Attorney, United States Attorney’s Office, Central District of California, 1988-1996