Richard Tegtmeier is an experienced and accomplished trial lawyer who heads the Sherman & Howard Criminal Practice Group. He specializes in complex criminal and civil litigation and has tried more than 200 cases before juries. He is respected throughout the country for his unique ability to navigate the courtroom and the complex process of a jury trial—he has the confidence required to think and act outside the box and produce the type of results that can only come from decades of success. Richard has the highest peer ratings across all categories of criminal defense and is particularly honored that fellow lawyers consistently vote that they would choose him to defend a family member or loved one. He has been dedicated to the pursuit of criminal justice for decades and often wins the hearts of judges, juries and prosecutors alike.
Richard is a pioneer in the use of legal video, producing remarkable results with pre-indictment, pre-plea, mediation, settlement, and sentencing videos: www.teglegalvideoproductions.com
The highlights of his accomplishments are:
- Tried more than 200 criminal and civil cases to juries.
- He has defended White Collar Crimes, Health Care, Fraud, False Claims Act, Wire and Bank Fraud, Insider Trading, Theft, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, First Degree Murder, Drug Possession and Distribution, Tax, Federal Regulation and other complex cases.
- Elected President of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers (2012), one of the most prestigious organizations in America.
- AV® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®. More than 35 years.
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in America® under the specialty of White-Collar Criminal Defense and Criminal Defense since the 1990s.
- Handled complex cases involving federal criminal regulations.
- In the area of complex commercial litigation, Richard represents both plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving wrongful death, fraud, professional malpractice, breach of contract, multi level marketing, personal injury, and others. In 2005 Richard won what is believed to be the highest jury verdict ever in Colorado in a wrongful death case of $32.4M.
- Richard is listed in Colorado Super Lawyers® . and has been for many years. Although he has offices in Denver and Colorado Springs, CO he has tried and successfully handled cases in the State and Federal Courts of 17 states. He has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® and has been listed for 20 years. For more than twenty five years, he has served on the faculty of the National Criminal Defense College.
- Lectures to hundreds of criminal defense lawyers on trial tactics, jury selection, and trial issues .
- Admitted Colorado
- Admitted Nebraska
- American Board of Criminal Lawyers, President, 2012
- Faculty Member, National Criminal Defense College, 1985-Present
- Member, Colorado, Nebraska and American Bar Associations
- Member, Colorado Criminal Defense Bar
- Member, Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year,” Criminal Defense, Denver, CO (2015, 2018)
- Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: General Practice (2006-2020), Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2006-2020)
- Super Lawyers, (2006 – 2019)
- The International Who’s Who of Business, Crime Defense Lawyers
- American Board of Criminal Lawyers, President (2012)
- Martindale-Hubbell, “AV Rated”
- Search Warrants: What to do When the Government Shows up with a Search Warrant
Sherman & Howard Healthcare Presentation