The Denver office of Sherman & Howard’s Tax and Probate Department is seeking a dynamic legal secretary to provide secretarial and administrative support. The legal secretary should have experience with estate planning documents such as Wills, Trusts, Power of Attorney and Living Wills. In addition to typing, filing and scheduling, the secretary will organize and maintain all legal files kept on-site whether in paper or electronic format. Other duties may include scheduling client appointments, answering calls, taking notes during legal meetings and handling electronic filing in state courts. To apply send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
The job responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Draft, edit and proofread correspondence, pleadings, contracts, and other various documents with sharp attention to detail
- Electronic filing in both state and federal courts
- Prepare, submit and maintain attorney(s) weekly time records
- Edit proformas, prepare invoice cover letters and prepare account summary for each invoice
- Set up, maintain, and ensure that files are kept current including classifying, arranging files, filing, and storing information
- Monitor, prioritize, organize, and facilitate daily workflow in order to meet deadlines, including administrative tasks such as scheduling meetings and conferences, making travel arrangements, processing expense reimbursements, etc.
- Maintain e-mails and/or documents on DMS as determined by attorney and paralegal
- Open New Client/New Matter Reports, as requested, and arrange for conflicts checks
- 5+ years of progressively responsible and varied legal secretarial experience.
- Familiarity with general practices and procedures, systems philosophies, structure, methods and approaches of mid-to-large sized firms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to handle matters independently
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, grammar and basic legal terminology
- Knowledge of various court electronic filing procedures for applicable practice areas
- Advanced skill in the use of technology systems such as Microsoft Office Suite 2013, Document Management Software, Time Entry software, Workshare Compare, Olympus, and Adobe/PDF programs
- Skill in typing and transcribing accurately at a rate of 70 + words per minute
- Ability to organize, prioritize and multi-task, while working effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to establish good rapport with attorneys, clients, and other employees
- Ability to think creatively
What Really Gets Us Excited!
- You can actively listen to others and understand their needs.
- You have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn.
- You dive in and take initiative without being asked.
- You know “how to get things done.”
- You have good judgment and a thoughtful approach.
- You are consistent with your follow through.
- You are attentive to details and keep track of all the moving parts.
- You are available to work extended hours as needed.