Ryan J. Klein
- Juris Doctor, magna cum laude, Santa Clara Law, 2005
- Order of the Coif
- Editor, Santa Clara Law Review
- Bachelor of Business Administration, magna cum laude, University of Notre Dame, 2002
Ryan Klein is a Member in Sherman & Howard’s Colorado Springs office. Ryan has over 10 years of experience representing clients in government contracts, construction, commercial litigation, and employment matters. Ryan’s experience with government contracts extends to all types of federal, state, and local procurements and covers the entire procurement process from award to claim/litigation.
- Represented government contractors and subcontractors on all matters related to federal, state, and local procurements, including contract or subcontract award, bid and size protests, contract administration, claims, disputes, and litigation, and ethical, fraud, and criminal issues.
- Negotiated prime contracts, subcontracts, teaming agreements, joint ventures, non-disclosure agreements, and other contractual documents for government contractors and subcontractors.
- Successfully prosecuted claims against the U.S. government in the Court of Federal Claims and Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
- Represented government prime contractors and subcontractors in private disputes in federal and state courts.
- Obtained full dismissal on behalf of a general contractor for claims asserted in the U.S. District Court of Colorado by a billion dollar subcontractor on a federal government contract and then successfully defended an appeal to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained full trial verdict on behalf of a general contractor against a large subcontractor on a federal government contract in Colorado district court.
- Represented government contractors in numerous bid protests before the Government Accountability Office and various federal agencies.
- Successfully defended a bid protest to the Government Accountability Office on a $17 million procurement.
- Represented government contractors in size protests before the Small Business Administration and Office of Hearings and Appeals.
- Successfully protested contract awards that had been made to large businesses on small business set-asides.
- Advised concerning all aspects of government contracting for small businesses, 8(a), HUBZone, Service- Disabled Veteran-Owned Businesses, Women-Owned Small Businesses, and Small Disadvantaged Businesses.
- Represented construction contractors on all matters related to private construction projects, including both commercial and residential construction.
- Successfully prosecuted claims against the Colorado Department of Transportation.
- Obtained a $1.2 million judgment on behalf of a subcontractor against a large commercial contractor on a state road construction project.
- Represented general contractors and subcontractors regarding Miller Act claims and mechanic’s liens.
- Represented various types of disputes on appeal to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals and Colorado Court of Appeals.
- Represented employers in a variety of employment disputes, especially trade secrets, fraud, and theft matters.
- Negotiated numerous favorable settlements for clients.
- Admitted Colorado, 2005
- Admitted U.S. District Court of Colorado, U.S. Court of Federal Claims and the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member, American, Colorado and El Paso County Bar Associations
- Board Member, Housing and Building Association of Colorado Springs
- Board Member, National Contract Management Association, Pikes Peak Chapter
- Committee Member, Housing & Building Association of Colorado Springs
- The Ben S. Wendelken Inn of Court
- Phi Delta Phi
- Beta Gamma Sigma, University of Notre Dame
- Beta Alpha Psi, University of Notre Dame
- Phi Alpha Theta, University of Notre Dame
- Author, Construction Defects, “Owner’s Damages Arising From Defective Construction,” ABA Forum on the Construction Industry 2012.
- Author, The Practitioner’s Guide to Colorado Construction Law, “State Construction Projects,” CLE in Colorado 2010.
- Frequent Presenter, National Contract Management Association, 2014-present.
- Frequent Presenter, Colorado Procurement Technical Assistance, 2013-present.
- Presenter, Coverages, Disputes, and Tactics for Survival: Critical Litigation Issues, and Insights, ABA Forum on the Construction Industry, 2011.
- Presenter, Small Business Issues, Associated General Contractors, 2012.
- Teacher, Dispute Resolution/Claims, U.S. Department of Transportation Bonding Education Program, 2011-present.