Peter J. Whitmore
- LL.M. in Taxation, University of Denver, 1999
- Juris Doctor, with distinction, University of Iowa College of Law, 1990
- Editorial Board, Journal of Corporation Law
- Bachelor of Arts, with honors, University of Iowa, 1987
Peter Whitmore has decades of experience handling complex public finance transactions for a diverse clientele. He advises on governmental bonds of all types with a primary focus on state law and disclosure law issues pertaining to the issuance of tax-exempt debt by state and local governments.
Peter represents cities, towns, counties, special districts, urban renewal authorities, public improvement authorities, underwriters, banks, and other participants in public finance transactions, with particular emphasis on financings for special taxing districts, authorities, cities, and school districts. His experience includes general obligation bonds (limited tax and unlimited tax), water and wastewater revenue bonds, sales tax bonds, other special revenue bonds such as fuel tax and device tax bonds, special assessment bonds, tax increment bonds, and lease purchase transactions.
Peter has advised on a wide variety of public infrastructure projects, primarily focused in Colorado and Nevada, with additional experience in New Mexico, Missouri, and other states. These projects include streets, highways, water improvements, sanitary sewer improvements, and park and recreation improvements for retail and office commercial developments, residential developments, mountain gaming districts, and ski resort base areas. He also has experience with financings for other public projects such as county detention facilities, town halls, fire stations, and education projects such as public schools and administration buildings, colleges, and universities.
Peter was appointed by Governor John W. Hickenlooper to the Colorado Municipal Bond Supervision Advisory Board and is an active member of the National Association of Bond Lawyers. He is also a former manager of the Sherman & Howard’s Public Finance Department.
- Represents regional, national, and international banks in connection with loans to, and leases with, a variety of Colorado local governments and government entities, including cities, school districts, urban renewal authorities, and special taxing districts.
- Serves as special disclosure counsel to Colorado and Nevada local governments, government authorities, water and sanitation districts, school districts, cities, counties, and special taxing districts in bond financings.
- Represents bond underwriters and private placement agents in Colorado special taxing district financings.
- Admitted Iowa, 1990 (inactive); Colorado, 1992
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Member, Securities Law and Disclosure Committee, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Appointed by Governor John W. Hickenlooper to the Colorado Municipal Bond Supervision Advisory Board for a 4-year term, 2017-21
- Contributor, Federal Securities Laws of Municipal Bonds Deskbook, Seventh Edition (2017)
- Law Clerk, Justice Linda K. Neuman, Iowa Supreme Court, 1990-91
- Law Clerk, Chief U.S. Magistrate Judge John A. Jarvey, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 1991-92
- Manager, Sherman & Howard L.L.C. Public Finance Department, 2004-2011
- Board Member, One Good Turn, a nonprofit organization operating Café 180 and Good Turn Cyles, 2010-2018
- Board Member, Friends of the Haven, a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing support to the Haven and the Baby Haven, programs of the University of Colorado School of Medicine’s Addiction Research and Treatment Service which provide residential and outpatient substance use disorder treatment to women and infants, 2017-present
- Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance Law (2019-2020)
- Presenter of numerous Sherman & Howard client seminars on topics including bank loans to local governments, public finance disclosure developments and proposed ballot initiates.
- Panelist, Metro Housing Coalition’s 2016 Political Forum, September 28, 2016, Highlands Ranch, Colorado.
- Panelist, “New SEC Rules,” Colorado Municipal League Annual Seminar on Municipal Law, October 11, 2014, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Presenter, “Current Trends in Special District Finance,” Special District Association Annual Conference, September 12, 2014, Keystone, Colorado.
- Author, “The Taxpayers Bill of Rights — Twenty Years of Litigation,” The Colorado Lawyer, September 2013.
- Presenter, “Debt Issuance 101,” Public Finance Options for Development and Redevelopment in Colorado: Continuing Legal Education Conference, October 2, 2012, Denver, Colorado.
- Presenter, “How to Survive an Audit of Your Municipal Bonds by the IRS,” Special District Association Annual Conference, September 19, 2012, Keystone, Colorado.
- Presenter, “Proposed Constitutional Ballot Initiatives,” Special District Association Annual Conference, September 23, 2010, Keystone, Colorado.
- Author, “Proposed Ballot Initiatives Would Mean Major Changes for Municipalities,” Colorado Municipalities, June 2010.
- Presenter, “Statewide Ballot 2010: Municipal Finance Implications,” Colorado Municipal League Annual Conference, June 24, 2010, Breckenridge, Colorado.
- Author, “Securities and Exchange Commission Revises Continuing Disclosure Rules,” Special District Association Newsletter, February 2009.
- Presenter, “Selected Municipal Law Topics,” Colorado Bar Association, Real Estate Section Meeting, September 11, 2008.