Peter J. Whitmore
- LL.M. in Taxation, University of Denver, 1999
- Juris Doctor, with distinction, University of Iowa College of Law, 1990
- Editorial Board, Journal of Corporation Law
- Bachelor of Arts, with honors, University of Iowa, 1987
Peter Whitmore is a Member in the firm’s Public Finance Department, for which he served as department manager from 2004-11, and has been active in public finance for twenty years. His practice focuses primarily on state law and disclosure law issues pertaining to the issuance of tax-exempt debt by state and local governments. Peter represents governmental entities, underwriters, banks and other participants in public finance transactions, with particular emphasis on financings for special taxing districts, authorities, cities, towns, counties and school districts. His experience includes general obligation bonds (limited tax and unlimited tax), water and wastewater revenue bonds, sales tax bonds, other special revenue bonds such as fuel tax and device tax bonds, special assessment bonds, tax increment bonds and lease purchase transactions.
- Representation of regional, national and international banks in connection with loans to, and leases with, a variety of Colorado local governments, including cities, school districts, urban renewal authorities, and special taxing districts.
- Representation of Colorado and Nevada local governments as special disclosure counsel in bond financings, including authorities, water and sanitation districts, school districts, cities, counties, and special taxing districts.
- Representation of bond underwriters and private placement agents in Colorado special taxing district financings.
- Public infrastructure projects have included streets, water improvements, sanitary sewer improvements, and park and recreation improvements for development areas such as retail and office commercial developments, residential developments, mountain gaming districts, and ski resort base areas. Education projects have included public schools and administration buildings, colleges, and universities. Other financed projects have included county detention facilities, town halls, fire stations, and similar municipal projects.
- Admitted Iowa, 1990 (inactive); Colorado, 1992
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Member, Securities Law and Disclosure Committee, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Appointed by Governor John W. Hickenlooper to the Colorado Municipal Bond Supervision Advisory Board for a 4-year term, 2017-21
- Contributor, Federal Securities Laws of Municipal Bonds Deskbook, Seventh Edition (2017)
- Law Clerk, Justice Linda K. Neuman, Iowa Supreme Court, 1990-91
- Law Clerk, Chief U.S. Magistrate Judge John A. Jarvey, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 1991-92
- Manager, Sherman & Howard L.L.C. Public Finance Department, 2004-2011
- Board Member, One Good Turn, a nonprofit organization operating Café 180 and Good Turn Cyles, 2010-2018
- Board Member, Friends of the Haven, a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing support to the Haven and the Baby Haven, programs of the University of Colorado School of Medicine’s Addiction Research and Treatment Service which provide residential and outpatient substance use disorder treatment to women and infants, 2017-present
- The Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance Law, 2019
- Presenter of numerous Sherman & Howard client seminars on topics including bank loans to local governments, public finance disclosure developments and proposed ballot initiates.
- Panelist, Metro Housing Coalition’s 2016 Political Forum, September 28, 2016, Highlands Ranch, Colorado.
- Panelist, “New SEC Rules,” Colorado Municipal League Annual Seminar on Municipal Law, October 11, 2014, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Presenter, “Current Trends in Special District Finance,” Special District Association Annual Conference, September 12, 2014, Keystone, Colorado.
- Author, “The Taxpayers Bill of Rights — Twenty Years of Litigation,” The Colorado Lawyer, September 2013.
- Presenter, “Debt Issuance 101,” Public Finance Options for Development and Redevelopment in Colorado: Continuing Legal Education Conference, October 2, 2012, Denver, Colorado.
- Presenter, “How to Survive an Audit of Your Municipal Bonds by the IRS,” Special District Association Annual Conference, September 19, 2012, Keystone, Colorado.
- Presenter, “Proposed Constitutional Ballot Initiatives,” Special District Association Annual Conference, September 23, 2010, Keystone, Colorado.
- Author, “Proposed Ballot Initiatives Would Mean Major Changes for Municipalities,” Colorado Municipalities, June 2010.
- Presenter, “Statewide Ballot 2010: Municipal Finance Implications,” Colorado Municipal League Annual Conference, June 24, 2010, Breckenridge, Colorado.
- Author, “Securities and Exchange Commission Revises Continuing Disclosure Rules,” Special District Association Newsletter, February 2009.
- Presenter, “Selected Municipal Law Topics,” Colorado Bar Association, Real Estate Section Meeting, September 11, 2008.