Karen L. Chapman
- Juris Doctor, Stanford Law School, 1979
- Founder and President, Stanford Public Interest Law Foundation
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (Finance), magna cum laude, University of Colorado, 1976
Karen Chapman is a Member in Sherman & Howard’s Corporate and Business Department. She is a highly respected specialist in mergers and acquisitions and corporate financings, leading teams that close sophisticated transactions valued in the hundreds of millions and billions of dollars. Karen plays a preeminent role representing airlines in jet fuel storage and distribution system leasing, contract and financing matters at major airports throughout the United States. Karen’s practice also includes sports law representations, serving as general counsel to a professional tennis league, negotiation of sponsorship and endorsement contracts and structuring and documentation of equity interests in start-up companies in exchange for services of sports marketing company and athletes.
- General corporate advice to corporate clients, including entity formation, maintenance and mergers, partnership and joint venture matters, shareholder and related agreements, phantom stock plans and other incentive programs.
- Formation and operation of airline fuel consortia at airports throughout the United States including Boston, Chicago (ORD), Washington Dulles, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose and Seattle-Tacoma.
- Sports law including general counsel to professional tennis league, negotiation of sponsorship and endorsement contracts and negotiation and documentation of equity interests in start-up companies in exchange for services of sports marketing company and athletes.
- Mergers and Acquisitions:
- Negotiation of $80 million acquisition of architecture firm.
- Negotiation of acquisitions of engineering services firms, values ranging from $5 million to $90 million.
- Negotiation of sale of Colorado state bank to national bank
- Counsel for media company acquisitions totaling almost $800 million.
- Negotiation of $2 billion cable system exchange agreement.
- Counsel for Australian mining company’s acquisition of Nevada gold mine from Canadian company.
- Negotiation and documentation of venture capital investments.
- Negotiation of joint venture agreement with United Kingdom company to operate $350 million plant.
- Negotiated acquisition of program and project management consulting firm on behalf of and international design, consulting, engineering and management services company.
- Issuance of tax-exempt bonds to finance fuel system construction at Boston International Airport in the amount of $107 million; at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in the amount of $100 million; and at San Francisco International Airport in the amount of $125 million and refunding of bonds at Los Angeles International Airport in the amount of $29,620,000 and $64,095,000.
- Issuance of $61 million Senior Notes to finance fuel system construction at Oakland International Airport and $27 million Senior Notes to finance fuel system construction at San Jose International Airport.
- Foreign financings including €80 million syndicated secured bank facility for European borrower group of chemical manufacturer; €285 million high-yield bond offering for European chemical manufacturer; and DM 1.6 billion ($900 million+) syndicated multi-country (Germany, Belgium, United Kingdom, Norway, France, Canada, United States) financing.
- $90 million asset based financing for manufacturing company
- $1.1 billion syndicated secured financing for Argentinean cable company.
- $437.5 million public senior secured and discount notes offerings.
- Standby letter of credit facilities and interest rate swap agreements.
- Best Lawyers’ 2012 Mergers & Acquisitions Lawyer of the Year, Denver, CO.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America for Corporate Law, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, and Securitizations and Structured Finance Law.
- Distinguished Achievement in Aviation, Armbrust Aviation Group, 2010.
- Listed in Colorado Super Lawyers, 2010
- Colorado Bar Fellow, Colorado Bar Foundation
- Boettcher Scholar