Joseph C. Daniels
- Juris Doctor, high distinction, University of Iowa College of Law, 2009
- Articles Editor, Iowa Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Bachelor of Arts in Theatre, Grinnell College, 2003
Joseph “Joe” Daniels has quickly become a powerhouse litigator, representing companies around the country with complex and challenging legal issues. A tough, effective trial lawyer who never shies away from a difficult fight, Joe uses his background in theatre to take complex legal and factual scenarios and package them into compelling and understandable narratives that are effective with both judges and juries. He has had a string of impressive victories, making him a go-to litigator at Sherman & Howard in all aspects of litigation, including pre-litigation strategy, discovery, motions practice, trial, and post-litigation issues.
Joe represents clients all over the United States, including most recently in New York, New Mexico, and North Dakota. He has exceptional experience in litigating intellectual property and business tort disputes, and advises clients in contract, financial services, telecommunications, oil and gas, intellectual property, and corporate disputes.
- Awarded $13 million by an arbitration panel for a small Philadelphia-based technology company against one of the largest information technology companies in the world.
- Filed trademark infringement suit on behalf of a 60-year-old Colorado real estate company name. Case was settled and client was awarded $4 million.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on the eve of an arbitration hearing for a Colorado-based wireless company against its wireless technology supplier for claims of breach of contract, fraud and negligent misrepresentation.
- Obtained complete defense verdict in favor of an electric generation and transmission company after week-long jury trial for claims of breach of contract involving long-term requirements contracts.
- Obtained an $11.5 million summary judgment for the servicer of a private lending group against a Colorado commercial real estate developer.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment for a Colorado bank dismissing a Colorado special district’s improper effort to impose and foreclose a $5.4 million “tap fee” lien on 301 undeveloped residential lots that the bank acquired through foreclosure.
- Received partial summary judgment for an electric generation and transmission association in breach of contract dispute involving long-term all requirement contracts.
- Obtained injunctive relief for a Colorado-based business after its trade secrets had been misappropriated.
- Colorado State Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- Tenth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Metro Denver Economic Development Corporation Education & Workforce Subcommittee
- The Metro Denver EDC is the nation’s first regional economic development organization, focusing on six areas to expand the economy in the nine-county region: national marketing, new and existing business, mobility, DIA/international air travel, tax reform and special opportunities.
- United Way Emerging Leaders Council
- A collective of young professionals who support Mile High United Way to make a positive impact through volunteerism, advocacy, philanthropy and by developing into community leaders.
- Treasurer, Montview Community Preschool & Kindergarten
- A parent cooperative that honors childhood by supporting diverse families and by educating children in a play-based environment, emphasizing the joy of discovery, creativity, wonder, and empowerment.
- Committee Member, St. Anne’s Episcopal School
- An independent, coeducational day school for pre-kindergarten through 8th grade students.
- Super Lawyers, “Colorado Rising Stars” 2015 – 2019)
- Denver Business Journal, “40 Under 40” Nominee (2018)
- The Branding of America: The Rise of Geographic Trademarks and the Need for a Strong Fair Use Defense
Note 94 Iowa L. Rev. 1703
- Trademark Legal Issues for Craft Brewing Executives
Business of Beer Series