Drawing on more than 35 years of experience, Jon Tandler is a seasoned intellectual property and business law practitioner.
Jon helps his clients develop, maintain, protect and monetize their intellectual property assets. Jon focuses on copyright and publishing law and represents publishers, authors, agents, associations and others on matters involving intellectual property, contracts and book publishing. He also focuses on software and information technology law and represents clients on diverse projects including the acquisition of IT systems and services via premise license and SAAS structures. Additionally, Jon provides corporate law services for closely–held companies for governance and commercial transactions.
Combining his deep knowledge of industry customs and practices and substantive legal knowledge, Jon defends clients in disputes with third parties, and works to arrive at practical, negotiated terms to manage risk and, when necessary, resolve conflict swiftly and efficiently in order to limit any negative impact on business operations.
Jon provides legal services to public and private companies, non-profit institutions, and industry trade associations engaged in manufacturing, engineering, healthcare, technology, communications, publishing, management consulting and training, and investment advisory services.
- Structures, prepares and negotiates licensing and other documentation involving copyrights, trademarks, patents and trade secrets, for commercial and other monetization transactions.
- Projects include creating master service and curriculum development agreements for consulting and training firms, which they use to provide their customers with access to their intellectual property assets.
- Structures, prepares and negotiates contracts including publishing, packaging, contributor, photographic, work-made-for-hire, ghost writer, free-lance, licensing and distribution, for works to be published in print, digital and audio media. Also represents publishers and authors on dispute resolution.
- Prepared and filed Brief of Amici Curiae as legal counsel to the Romance Writers of America and The Authors Guild with the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in Keiler, et al. vs. Harlequin Enterprises Ltd., et al., which was favorably cited in Court of Appeals decision sending case back to lower court. Prepared contributor agreement for authors providing short stories for literary anthology.
Computer Software/Information Technology
- Negotiated and consummated master service agreements for a communications company for call center management and property tax monitoring and management. Negotiated and consummated licensing and servicing agreements for electronic health records for non-profit health care providers.
- Represents closely–held companies, by providing outside legal counsel on an ongoing basis helping them to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Prepared and consummated equity issuance and ownership plans for executives and employees of privately held investment advisory, publishing and engineering firms.
- Admitted Colorado, California and Missouri (inactive)
- Admitted to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Member, Colorado Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Associate Member, Publishers Association of the West (PubWest)
- Faculty, University of Denver Publishing Institute, 1997-Present
- Member, Copyright Society of the United States
Nonprofit and Volunteer Activities
- Board of Directors, Food Bank of the Rockies, 2011-2017; Board Chair and Executive Committee, 2015-2017;
- Board of Directors, Mount Zion Health Fund, f/k/a Mount Zion Health Systems, Inc., 1992-1996; Board President, 1994-1996
- Chambers USA – Intellectual Property, 2015-2017
- PubWest Associate Member of the Year, 2011
- Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout Award, 1971
Jon regularly presents programs and lectures on intellectual property, publishing, information technology and business law for academic institutions, trade associations and other industry groups. Jon has served on the faculty of the University of Denver Publishing Institute since 1997, and has presented for PubWest, the Colorado Independent Publishers Association, Romance Writers of America, Colorado Continuing Legal Education, and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) division of the United Nations.