Jon is a Member of Sherman & Howard’s Business and Corporate Department, providing legal services in intellectual property, publishing, information technology and business law. Jon has over 30 years of experience helping clients achieve their business strategies while protecting their proprietary interests, with a continuing passion for his work and legal practice. Companies and individuals enjoy working with Jon because he provides individual care to each matter with a commitment to quality and effective solutions.
- Jon provides a wide range of services for managing and monetizing intellectual property (IP) assets, emphasizing copyrights and trademarks. His work includes legal representation as to IP development, ownership and maintenance; licensing and other IP centric transactions for print and digital media, and brick and mortar branding; rights and fair use diligence; clearances; regulatory registration; and dispute resolution.
- For trade and service mark clearance diligence and U.S. Patent & Trademark Office registrations, Jon works with the firm’s trademark specialists, and for intellectual property enforcement with the firm’s IP litigation specialists.
- Jon is a known expert in copyright, publishing and literary law, devoting a substantial portion of his law practice to these disciplines for over twenty-five years. Jon represents publishers, authors, agencies, packagers, distributors, book stores, trade associations and others on counseling, transactional and regulatory matters unique to publishing content in print, digital and other media. Jon has been privileged to work in many different genres, including technology, business, pictorial, fiction, non-fiction, historical, biographical, instructional, college text, children’s and romance.
- As a natural extension of his work in technology publishing and licensing, Jon works extensively in information technology (IT) law also for over two decades. His work in IT includes representing customer licensees procuring substantial enterprise wide software applications, services and deliverables, including electronic records storage, in non-hosted and hosted (SAAS) environments. In his IT work Jon represents for-profit and non-profit institutions, including clients in regulated industries such as health care.
- Prior to becoming engaged in intellectual property law, Jon worked exclusively in corporate and securities law. Throughout his career he continues to represent entrepreneurs and closely held businesses in technology, manufacturing, and service industries on general commercial and transactional matters. For clients engaged in significant corporate or financing transactions, Jon works with the firm’s corporate and securities specialists.
- Admitted Colorado, California and Missouri (inactive)
- Admitted to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Member, Colorado Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Member, Copyright Society of the United States
- Associate Member, Publishers Association of the West (PubWest)
- Member, Independent Book Publishers Association
- Faculty, University of Denver Publishing Institute, 1997-Present
Non-Profit and Volunteer Activities
- Board of Directors, Food Bank of the Rockies, 2011-Present; Board Chair and Executive Committee, 2015-Present; Audit Committee Chair, 2013-2015
- Intellectual Property Counsel, Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System (IAALS), 2008-Present
- Board of Directors, Mount Zion Health Fund, f/k/a Mount Zion Health Systems, Inc., 1992-1996; Board President, 1994-1996
- Chambers USA – Intellectual Property, 2015
- PubWest Associate Member of the Year, 2011
- Boy Scouts of America Eagle Scout Award, 1971
- Regularly lectures for Publishers Association of the West (PubWest), Romance Writers of America, Independent Book Publishers Association, and other associations.
- Presents on intellectual property and business law topics for the Continuing Legal Education Division of the Colorado Bar Association.
- Presenter, “Literary Rights – Maximize Your Bottom Line.” Romance Writers of America Annual Conference, July 2014
- Co-Presenter, “BitTorrent and Predatory Copyright Enforcement – Viewer Beware or Copyright Clause Misuse.” Colorado Bar Association CLE – Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property & Technology Law Institute, May 2014.
- Presenter, “Information Technology Procurement: Business and Legal Fundamentals of Acquiring and Contracting for IT.” Arizona Technology Council, March 2014.
- Presenter, “Copyright and Fair Use.” Colorado Independent Publishers Association, October 2013
- Presenter, “Trademark and Copyright for the Business Law Practitioner.” Colorado Bar Association CLE – Business Law Institute, October 2013.
- Presenter, “Copyright and Publishing Law.” University of Denver Publishing Institute, August 2013.
- Co-Presenter, “Talking Business and Legal: Digital Self-Publishing (Co-Presenter); Publishing Contracts Demystified.” Romance Writers of America Annual Conference, July 2013.
- Presenter, “Self-Publishing – Business and IP: Important Things to Know… Before You Start.” Colorado Bar Association – CLE, March 2013.
- Co-Presenter, “The Digital Environment – Copyright, Contracts and Piracy Overview.” PubWest Annual Conference, October 2012.