Drawing on more than 35 years of practice, Jon Tandler is an experienced intellectual property, technology, and business lawyer.
He helps clients maintain, protect and monetize their intellectual property and proprietary assets. He provides his legal services to clients in many industries, advising on a wide variety of projects.
Jon works extensively in copyright and publishing law, and represents publishers, authors, literary agencies, publishing trade associations, and others on matters involving intellectual property rights and ownership, content acquisition, contracts, IP and content licenses, and other book and magazine projects.
He also focuses on software and information technology law, representing clients on diverse projects for IT and services procurement and development, implementation and enterprise use.
Jon also advises closely-held businesses on corporate governance, equity ownership, and business and commercial matters.
Further, he helps clients resolve third-party disputes, negotiating terms to manage risk and resolve conflict.
Jon’s clients include private companies, professional firms, nonprofit organizations, and entrepreneurs engaged in publishing, manufacturing, technology development and services, engineering, investment advisory services, healthcare, leadership training and team building, content creation, and charitable missions.
- Preparing master service and curriculum development agreements for consulting and training firms.
- Reviewing and advising on mergers and acquisition documentation involving intellectual property and information technology assets.
- Preparing contracts including author/publisher, contributor, photographer, licensing, foreign rights/translation, and distribution agreements, for works published in print, digital and audio media.
- Negotiated and closed on foreign rights agreements for U.S. business and lifestyle magazines.
- Negotiated and consummated master service agreements for call center management, and property tax monitoring and management.
- Negotiated and consummated licensing and servicing agreements for electronic health records storage and maintenance for nonprofit health care providers.
Business and Corporate
- Prepared equity issuance and ownership plans for executives and employees of closely held investment advisory, publishing, and engineering firms.
- Colorado Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- Associate Member, Publishers Association of the West (PubWest)
- Faculty, University of Denver Publishing Institute
- Colorado, California, and Missouri (inactive)
Nonprofit and Volunteer Activities
- Board of Directors, Food Bank of the Rockies, 2011-2017; Board Chair, 2015-2017
- Board of Directors, Food Bank of the Rockies Endowment Fund, 2017 – Present
- Board of Directors, Mount Zion Health Fund, f/k/a Mount Zion Health Systems, Inc., 1992-1996; Board President, 1994-1996
- Chambers USA, Band 3, Intellectual Property, Colorado (2015-2019)
Publications and Presentations
Jon regularly presents programs on intellectual property, publishing, information technology and business law for academic institutions, trade associations and other organizations. Jon serves on the faculty of the University of Denver Publishing Institute, and has presented for PubWest, Colorado Independent Publishers Association, Romance Writers of America, Colorado CLE, and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) division of the United Nations.
- Publishing Points With Which to Travel
Colorado Independent Publishers Association
- Copyright and Publishing Law
University of Denver Publishing Institute
- Sourcing Information Technology for Your Nonprofit Enterprise
Ministry In-House Counsel Roundtable
- Copyright, Fair Use and Permissions
Co-Presenter, Boulder Word Press and Designers
- Identifying and Protecting Copyright Assets
Ministry In-House Counsel Roundtable
- Copyright and Wrongs in the Digital Age, Fair Use and Best Practices for Third Party Copyright Permissions
Co-Presenter, Boulder Editors and Boulder Writers Alliance
- Colorado Attorneys for the Arts Workshop</strong
The Artists Collective
- Double Learning: Privacy and Trademark Law
Kraemer Copyright Conference
- Evaluating Fair Use for Copyrights – Making Calls on Excluding Third Party Content, Obtaining Permission or Relying on Fair Use
Stafford Publishing Webinar
- Fair Use; Agreements to Support Publisher Processes
International Society of Managing and Technical Editors
- Organizational Response to Online Disparagement
Ministry In-House Counsel Routable