David K. Lucas
Phone: Denver: 303.299.8134
- Juris Doctor, with high distinction, University of Nebraska College of Law, 2001
- Order of the Coif
- Executive Editor, Nebraska Law Review
- Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, summa cum laude, University of Nebraska-Kearney, 1998
- Bachelor of Science, Political Science, summa cum laude, University of Nebraska-Kearney, 1998
David Lucas regularly works on a variety of complex public finance transactions with state and local governments, non-profit entities, and financial institutions located throughout the Rocky Mountain West and West. David routinely serves as bond counsel to numerous large governmental issuers and statewide conduit issuers located in multiple states in connection with transactions involving, among others, water utilities, airports, residential and commercial developments and non-profit entities. David also serves as disclosure counsel or underwriter’s counsel to numerous governmental issuers or investment banks in connection with a variety of governmental projects including, in recent past, a sports stadium, regional transportation improvements and convention center improvements.
David is a member of Sherman & Howard’s Executive Committee and recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (Public Finance). During the past three years alone, David has provided bond counsel services in connection with more than $2.77 billion in tax-exempt financings and has provided disclosure counsel services in connection with more than $3.64 billion in tax-exempt financings. Such transactions have involved conduit fixed and variable rate obligations secured by conduit borrower revenues (including system revenues derived from master indenture structures), commercial paper, general obligations, revenue obligations (secured by sales taxes, property taxes, tax increment, and intergovernmental revenue-sharing arrangements) and lease purchases (certified and direct leases).
- Bond counsel to a statewide conduit healthcare issuer in connection with the issuance of over $490 million of taxable and tax-exempt healthcare bonds in a combined five series transaction
- Bond counsel to regional water district in connection with the issuance of over $190 million of revenue supported water bonds in two series
- Disclosure counsel to county in connection with the issuance of over $1.58 billion in obligations for sports stadium, transportation, parks, water and flood improvements
- National Association of Bond Lawyers (NABL)
- Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance Law (2019-2020)
- Direct Purchases of State or Local Obligations by Commercial Banks and Other Financial Institutions – July 2017 (NABL Taskforce Member)
- For the past five years, David has been a panelist on the Direct Purchases Panel of the annual Bond Attorneys Workshop in Chicago.