Charlotte Wiessner is a Member in the firm’s Construction and Insurance Practice Groups. Charlotte brings over 30 years of experience representing private and public owners and contractors in the construction industry with a focus on industrial, heavy highway and airport projects. She assists clients in drafting all types of contracts, including design/engineering, construction, owner’s representative, EPC and design-build. She also assists construction clients with insurance issues. Charlotte is a trial and appellate attorney representing clients in cases before federal and state courts and in arbitration. She is a frequent speaker for the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry. In 2014, Charlotte was named Best Lawyers’ in America “Lawyer of the Year – Denver” for construction law. In 2017, Charlotte was named Best Lawyers in America “Lawyer of the Year – Denver” for insurance law.
- Obtained $20 million verdict, including $9 million in punitive damages, in 13 week federal jury trial for runway contractor at Denver International Airport.
- Successfully mediated claims in excess of $100 million on behalf of telecommunications company brought by general contractor on national cable system rebuild.
- Successfully defended municipality in trial to the court on over thirty claims, obtained defense verdict on all claims and award of attorneys’ fees as sanction.
- Appointed Special Assistant Attorney General to represent State of Colorado in arbitration of claims brought by highway contractor.
- Counsel for public utility in settlement of claims arising out of conversion of nuclear power plant to gas fired.
- Counsel for public utility in settlement of claims arising out of construction defects at city-wide chill plant.
- Counsel for airline fuel consortium in settlement of claims for cost overruns on construction of fuel delivery system at San Francisco International Airport.
- Counsel for municipality in settlement of claims arising out of cost sharing agreement among water right owners for maintenance costs at Standley Lake Reservoir.
- Counsel for defense of claims brought by general contractor and design team on jail expansion project, obtaining net settlement payment to County of over $5 million on counterclaims and third-party claims against contractor’s surety and design team.
- Successfully defended housing authority in trial to the court on $1 million claim for cost overruns and delays, obtaining dismissal of all claims after plaintiff’s case.
- Successfully defended airline fuel consortium on claims arising out of renovations to fuel delivery system at Logan International Airport.
- Counsel for national engineering firm in settlement of claims arising out of construction of passenger bridge at Denver International Airport.
- Successfully arbitrated recovery action on behalf of insurance company obtaining award of approximately $1 million.
- Quigley v. Rosenthal, 327 F.3d 104 (10th Cir. 2003), cert. denied.
- Bangert Bros. Const. Co., Inc. v. Kiewit Western Co., 310 F.3d 1278 (10th Cir. 2002)
- Nauert v. Nava Leisure U.S.A., Inc., 211 F.3d 1278 (10th Cir. 2000) (unpublished)
- Mehaffy, Rider, Windholz & Wilson v. Central Bank Denver, N.A., 892 P.2d 230 (Colo. 1995)
- New Design Construction v. City of Thornton, Colorado, Colorado Court of Appeals, Case No. 10CA2212 (2012)(unpublished). cert. denied.
- Ivan and Lisa Kaufman, Trustees v. Solaris Property Owner, LLC, Colorado Court of Appeals, Case No. 11CA 0244(2012) (unpublished)
- PCL Construction Services, Inc. v. Protech Theatrical Services, Inc., Colorado Court of Appeals, Case No. 09CA0597 (2010)(unpublished)
- Steven N. Hirsch, as Trustee for the Franklin Nominee Trust v. James Grant Hunt and Janie A. Hunt, Colorado Court of Appeals, Case No. 06CA1434 (2007) (unpublished)
- Marais Gaylord, L.L.C. v. BRM Construction, Inc., 2007 WL 1839799 (Colo. App. 2007), cert. denied.
- Buckhannon v. US West Communications, Inc., 928 P.2d 1331 (Colo. App. 1996)
- Central Bank Denver, N.A. v. Mehaffy, Rider, Windholz & Wilson, 865 P.2d 862 (Colo. App. 1993)
- Klancke v. Smith, 829 P.2d 464 (Colo. App. 1991)
Representative Construction Contracts
- Represented municipalities in negotiation and preparation of design and construction contracts for water treatment plant, recreation center, field house, police station, fire station, civic center and convention center.
- Represented defense contractor in negotiation and drafting of design build contract.
- Represented numerous airline fuel consortia in negotiation, review and preparation of construction, design and owners’ representative contracts for tank farm and jet fuel distribution facilities, including O’Hare, Logan, San Francisco, Dulles, JFK, Los Angeles, Oakland, San Jose, Sacremento, Salt Lake, Denver, Milwaukee, San Diego, Seattle, Fort Myers, Kansas City, Orange County, Nashville, Portland, Minneapolis, Houston, St. Louis, Providence, and Dallas/Fort Worth.
- American Arbitration Association, Panel of Neutrals, Construction
- Co-Chair Construction Litigation Committee, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation (2008-2010)
- Programs Co-Chair, Construction Litigation Committee, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation (2004-2008)
- Assistant Manager, Sherman & Howard Litigation Department (2008-2011)
- Board Member, Colorado Women’s Bar Association (2002-2004)
- Member, American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry
- Member, American Bar Association Section on Litigation
- Admitted, United States Supreme Court
- Admitted, Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Admitted, Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- Admitted, United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- Admitted, Colorado Supreme Court
- Member, Pitkin County Bar Association
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation (2013-2020), Construction Law (2013-2020), Insurance Law (2013-2020), Litigation – Construction (2012-2020)
- Best Lawyers in America, “Women in the Law”
- Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year,” Construction Law, Denver, CO (2014)
- Best Lawyers in America, “Lawyer of the Year,” Insurance Law, Denver, CO (2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell, Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell, “AV Rated” for 20 years
- 5280 Magazine, “Top Lawyer”
- Holt, Tyrone, Stalder, Jeffrey Wiessner, Charlotte. “Standard Construction Contract Clauses from the Perspective of the Owner, Contractor and Architect”
Seminar: Construction Law Denver: Colorado Bar Association CLE
- Wiessner, Charlotte. “The Use of Jury Consultants”
Construct! – Construction Litigation Committee of the American Bar Association, Section of Litigation Vol. 12 Num. 2
- Wiessner, Charlotte. “Copyright Issues of Plans and Specs for Architects and Engineers”
Seminar: Construction Litigation in Colorado. Denver: Lorman Education Services
June 26, 2002
- Broomfield Senior Living Owner LLC v. R.G. Brinkmann Company
Sherman & Howard Annual Construction Seminar
- Jury Selection in the Age of Millennials
ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference – San Francisco
- No Labor – an Act of God?
Sherman & Howard Annual Construction Seminar
- Moderator, Plenary Program on Jury Research
ABA Forum on the Construction Industry – Scottsdale
- Moderator, Experts and the eDiscovery Problem
ABA Section of Litigation Annual Meeting – San Antonio
- Moderator, Reconstruction After a Disaster – Terrorism, Weather and Other Acts of God and Man
ABA Section of Litigation Annual Meeting – New York
- Law Clerk, U.S. House of Representatives, The Capitol, Washington, D.C. (1983 – 1984)