Azim Hameed is a Member in the Real Estate and Banking Departments. He has over 25 years’ experience representing developers, publically traded homebuilders, financial institutions, anchor tenants, and investors in a variety of commercial, retail, and residential real estate matters. Sophisticated owners, real estate professionals and businesses rely on Azim for advice and to assist them document their transactions, including the purchase and sale of property, the construction and finance of offices, shopping centers, golf courses, and master planned communities, due diligence and title insurance, property management, property tax appeals, landlord/tenant negotiations, and loan workouts, foreclosures and enforcement.
- Represented national homebuilder in 3,000 acre $200,000,000 land assemblage for mixed use master planned community, including acquisition documents, landbank transactions, municipal development agreements involving entitlements, utilities, and infrastructure development, sale of superpads to homebuilders and commercial developers, donation of multiple school sites to school district, and resolution of various development issues, including compliance with CWA Section 404 permit mitigation requirements, defending condemnation action, sale of property to electric utility, and temporary construction easements.
- Represented member of limited liability company in dissolution, winding up and termination of land investment and development joint venture involving $150,000,000 of assets and $75,000,000 in secured debt, including acquiring new business and operating licenses, distributing land, options, contract rights, and due diligence reports to the members, loan modification and assumption by the members, and new joint development and cost sharing agreement with respect to future shared infrastructure improvements.
- Represented national homebuilder in $64,000,000 acquisition from local homebuilder of an assortment of assets including an executory contract to purchase land, raw land, partially developed platted, finished lots, single family homes in various stages of completion, and pending retail homebuyer purchase and sale contracts and escrows.
- Advised clients with respect to State Trust Land auctions, including negotiation of State lot premium participation agreements and certificate of purchase and partial patent agreements between successful bidders and State Land Department.
- Represented expanding regional grocer with store acquisitions from independent grocers, including inventory, equipment, and store leases.
- Negotiated and documented multiple anchor tenant shopping center leases, in-line retail space leases, restaurant, office and medical office leases, including landlord and tenant representations.
- Negotiated, documented and closed multiple acquisition, acquisition and development, and construction loan financing transactions from $5,000,000 to $90,000,000, including lender and borrower representations.
- Enforced creditors’ rights, including trustee’s sales of deeds of trust, judicial foreclosures of deeds of trusts, and judicial foreclosure of mechanic’s and materialmen’s liens.
- Negotiated, documented and closed multiple transactions involving acquisition, development, sale and like kind exchange of raw land, ranch properties, golf courses, hotel, offices, and shopping centers, including seller and purchaser representations.
- Assisted multiple clients perform due diligence investigations, interpret results and resolve issues involving title encumbrances, boundary conflicts, leaking underground storage tanks, asbestos abatement, unpatented mining claims, and water rights in real estate transactions.
- Represented homeowners’ associations with property management contracts, assessment lien and other operational issues.
- Drafted declarations of covenants, conditions and restrictions for residential subdivisions, including single family, condominium, town home, and golf course communities.
- Representation of taxpayers with respect to administrative and judicial real property tax appeals, including successful judicial appeal of real property tax valuation and classification of privately owned Spring training baseball stadium.
- Successfully obtained judgment for multiple taxpayers which was upheld on appeal in S & R Properties v. Maricopa County, 178 Ariz. 491, 875 P.2d 150 (Ariz. App. 1993), compelling Maricopa County to perform its statutory duty to process tax refunds for clear and undisputable assessment errors in prior tax years.
- Admitted Arizona, 1985
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court District of Arizona
- Member, National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP), Arizona Chapter
- Member, American Bar Association, Law Practice Management and Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Sections
- Member, State Bar of Arizona, Business Law, Environmental and Natural Resources Law and Real Property Sections
- Board of Directors, Phoenix North Lions Club Foundation
- Member, Home Builders’ Association of Central Arizona
- Top 100 Lawyers List in Arizona
AZ Business Magazine
- Band 3 – Real Estate (Arizona)
- 20 People to Know in Phoenix Law
Phoenix Business Journal
- Person to Know
Arizona Commercial Real Estate’s People to Know
- AV Preeminent
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings
- Melvin Jones Fellow
Lions Clubs International Foundation
- Participant, Visioning Scottsdale General Plan Town Hall, February 2013
- Speaker, Abundance vs. Scarcity: Comparing and Contrasting Water Rights in Michigan and Arizona, Michigan State Bar Real Property Section Winter Conference, Scottsdale, Arizona, March 12, 2010
- Speaker, Residential Construction Business Practices, Arizona State University Del E. Webb School of Construction, September 2007 and October 2008
- Speaker, Back to the Basics, Real Estate and Development, August-October 2008