633 Seventeenth Street
Denver, CO 80202
Email this attorney
Areas of Emphasis
Labor and Employment
- Obtained orders from federal district courts vacating arbitration awards issued under the Railway Labor Act and the Labor Management Relations Act. In both cases, the arbitrator had exceeded his authority by altering the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Secured dismissal of NLRB petitions filed in three separate areas of the U.S. involving coordinated union attempts to organize independent contractors.
- Successfully defended a class action brought by Communication Workers of America employees, against the company and the union, claiming they had been denied severance benefits. Showed that the company's severance practices did not violate the collective bargaining agreement - a required element in the plaintiff's claims. Plaintiffs, in response, dropped the entire case with prejudice.
- Obtained dismissal, for a large cable operator just prior to its sale, of several decertification petitions alleging that the cable operator had induced and/or improperly assisted employees seeking to decertify the union.
- Twice successfully defended accusations from the United Food and Commercial Workers union that the client refused to recognize a particular union representative - winning first before the NLRB over union accusations that the client's conduct was an unfair labor practice and winning the second time in federal court - where the Court was persuaded to deny the Union's Motion to Compel arbitration because the dispute was subject to the primary jurisdiction of the NLRB.
- Chapter Editor, The Developing Labor Law
- Member of American Bar Association Committee on Development of the Law Under the National Labor Relations Act
- Management Representative to National Labor Relations Board Practice and Procedure Committee, Region 27
- Speaker, Colorado Hospital Association, 2007-2011
Publications and Presentations
- Juris Doctor, St. John's University School of Law, 1996
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Florida, 1991