Areas of Emphasis
Administrative Law and Litigation
Labor and Employment
Mine Safety and Health
- Treat v. [Employer], 2008 WL 501442 (D. Colo. 2008 )(granting summary judgment in favor of employer in case alleging disability discrimination and retaliation, and FMLA interference and retaliation, and taxing costs of over $17,000 against employee-plaintiff).
- Ramsey et al. v. [Employer], No. 2002 CV 3061, Adams County District Court (awarding employer over $200,000 in attorneys fees and costs against group of employees who sued claiming unpaid wages), aff'd and remanded for award of addt'l fees, No. 06 CA 0150 (Colo. App.), cert. denied, No. 07 SC 541 (Colorado October 9, 2007).
- Ramsey v. [Employer], No. 2004 CV 2756, Adams County District Court (dismissing, on the basis of res judicata, wrongful discharge claim filed by former employee who had also filed multi-plaintiff wage claim action against employer), aff'd, No. 05 CA 2524 (Colo. App.), cert. denied, No. 07 SC 312 (Colorado July 16, 2007).
- Kennedy v. [Employer], 148 P.3d 385 (Colo. App. 2006) (affirming award to employer of approximately $240,000 in attorney fees and costs against employee-plaintiff and her attorney as a result of the dismissal of a wrongful discharge case found to be preempted by federal labor law).
- Kennedy v. [Supervisor], 273 F.3d 1293 (10th Cir. 2001)(stating supervisor had made a "very strong" case for preemption by federal labor law of state law wrongful discharge claims and was free to refile motion to dismiss in state court).
- Coleman v. [Employer], No. 04-CV-00683 (D. Colo. 2005)(granting summary judgment in favor of employer in case alleging discrimination, hostile work environment, and retaliation under ADEA and Title VII, as well as state law claims against individual).
- Jarvis v. [Employer], 985 F.2d 1419 (10th Cir. 1993) (affirming summary judgment in "hybrid 301" Labor Management Relations Act dispute).
- Management-side co-chair of the Labor and Employment section of the Colorado Bar Association, 2006-2008
- Member, Legal Advisory Board, Colorado Civil Justice League, 2007-present
- President of the Board, Community Housing Services, Inc. (non-profit agency), 2005-present
- Adjunct Faculty, University of Denver Sturm College of Law, 2008
- Guest Lecturer, University of Colorado School of Law, various years
Publications and Presentations
- Editor, HR Specialist Colorado Employment Law, 2008
- Contributing Author, The Practitioner's Guide to Colorado Employment Law, 2001-present
- Contributing Author, Senior Law Handbook (chapter on employment laws), various years
- Juris Doctor, University of Virginia School of Law, 1989
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Virginia, 1986
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Recipient, 2008 Colorado Civil Justice League Lawyer of the Year Award
- Recognized as one of Colorado's Super Lawyers, 2009-2011
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2012